Gosh, I'm old!

source: http://www.mcrfb.com

I don't realize how old I am until I start complaining about kids nowadays. You know how we used to hate when our parents started nagging about how reckless or how different we were compared to them when they were our age? Back then, I always tried to highlight the generation gap so that my parents could see that differences were inevitable. Their era was way too different from my era, and so on, and so forth, ended with a comment about how OLD-fashioned they were! (yes, I was rude. I was a teenager, remember?) Here I am now, in my thirties, already complaining about young kids today. Hah! History repeats itself, I know..

I was an okay kid when I was younger. Never really had any serious problems with school or relationship. I was sociable enough, naughty enough, healthy enough, cute enough, smart enough, and stupid enough. In short, very normal. Not really a social queen, but not a geek as well. I tried almost everything and broke every rule that a kid of my age was supposed to do. I had fun, and I decided that when I grow up, I will be a cool adult, who can still have fun despite of the age. And you know what, I think I'm not doing a bad job! Working in the university does keep you younger (remember that we're talking about feeling, not a physical thing!). Interacting with youngster makes you updated with cool and up-to-date issues, jargon, any slang words, music, movie stars that these kids love and adore. I never try to follow or even like their taste, but at least I hear enough to keep up in any conversation with them. And voila! I become a cool teacher! Hahaha..


However, no matter how cool I am, there are still some things that I find difficult to understand or even tolerate. These kids addiction to gadget, for example. I simply don't understand why they can be so devastated when they had to let go of their cellphones, but be cool when they had nothing to eat for a day. Their priority amazes me. It also drives me crazy when they're busy texting with their cellphones even when they are talking to me. Why do they need to see me if they don't even bother to talk to my face? They can simply text me! I also find it odd when I see a couple on a date, and each of them are busy with their gadgets during the date. Honestly, I feel that my date in the past, that involved walking hand-in-hand (we had no transportation back then) was way much better.

It also amazes me how little they know about the outside world. Yes, they are highly connected and well-informed. Yet, not many of them have a real hand-on-experience. They prefer to browse and travel and experience through the net, then really be "out there". Pretty sad for me as real life is so unpredictable and tough which they have to face sooner or later. 

But, what can I say? I guess now I know I am one of the "old" ones who complain and worry about the young ones. I know somehow they will survive, but I know that I can't stop worrying either. I guess I'll live with it ^^ 

Share:

0 komentar